Have you ever wondered if you could use chewing gum as a health care tool to improve your smile? According to some studies, it can assist with cavity prevention if an adequate amount of saliva flow is produced. Additionally, products such as mouthwash and chewing gum can be beneficial at times when using toothpaste can be too abrasive for your teeth, such as shortly after eating.
Take care of your oral health with sugarless gum that features these conditions:
– Do not use chewing gum if you are being bombarded by any tooth or jaw pain, including bruxism and temporomandibular disorders.
– The reason sugarless gum has been proven to be so advantageous is that it stimulates saliva flow in the mouth. Saliva helps wash away food particles and bacteria and can be used to deactivate acids in the mouth.
– It is important that the chewing gum you choose is sugarless because regular gum contains sugars that will merely cancel out any positive benefits the gum can provide.
– Chewing sugarless gum after meals has clinically demonstrated it can prevent cavities.
– Speak with your dentist about approved chewing gum products, or look for the American Dental Association’s Seal of Acceptance on products.
– Sugarless gum is also used for safeguarding your smile from stomach acids, including for the prevention and treatment of heartburn.
If you think your teeth and gums could use a little extra work and you would like to have a professional exam from our team at Kaitilin Riley DDS, simply schedule an appointment with Dr. Kaitilin Riley and the rest of our team at our dentist office in Paso Robles, California, by calling us at 805-238-3880. We look forward to hearing from you soon!